Collaboration Station

Where CMI, Compas, Singularity, InfoCures, & MEDtrak Come Together!

The Scoop – Paid Search Milestone | Mood-Sensing Book | Facebook at 10 January 31, 2014

Filed under: Corporate — CMI/Compas @ 5:28 pm

This morning’s lead insight comes from Campaign Analyst Phil Turicik: “Kenshoo conducted a worldwide study of paid search campaigns and concluded that Q4 2013 was the biggest quarter for paid search advertising EVER. Clicks to paid search ads increased by 12% in Q4 year over year while the number of paid search ad impressions dropped by 10% over the same time period. But while efficiency improved, overall paid search spend increased anywhere from 18%-28% depending on which part of the world you live in. This bump in competitive bidding caused overall cost per click (CPC) to increase by an average of 6% worldwide. CMI saw this same trend across many of our clients’ paid search campaigns in Q4, making this relevant in digital pharma marketing. It’s interesting to see our advertising relate to a worldwide trend and it makes for a useful tidbit to share with clients as well!”

The latest holy cannoli entrant into the Internet of Things is a MIT-created book that senses what page a reader’s on and changes lighting and temperature controls to mimic the mood of the book.

Facebook got a lot of press yesterday (and my stock jumped, yay) partly for its launch of Paper, a Flipboard-like news reader; partly for reaching new milestones in active users – more than 1.23 billion/month; and partly for sharing that they actually know how they’re going to spend the next 10 years, as they celebrate their 10th birthday.

The other top Internet buzz has been around the clever tweet that’s rocked the Arby’s brand, launching them into the big time. They say timing is the most important thing in comedy, and the tweet “Hey @Pharrell, can we have our hat back? #GRAMMYs” in response to Pharrell’s ten-gallon, boosted Arby’s followers from 3k to 217k on Twitter, and even boosted Facebook followers from 40k to 2.5 million. This was helped by the fact that Pharrell had immediately tweeted back. I think this exchange makes just about everyone…well, you know.

Enjoy the Super Bowl this weekend – there’s been several more clever and even (gasp!) entertaining ads released the last few days, so hopefully it will be an event that will make the ad industry proud. And a correction from yesterday’s Scoop – the graph showing ad spend history does have a pharma category, pharma is not included in the ‘other’ category.

-Carly Kuper, VP, Strategic Marketing & Corporate Communications
Did you like today’s Scoop? Sign up here or email us at scoop@cmicompas.com to receive it daily

Advertisements
 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s